BWRC Faculty Publications (2015 - 2018)
1. Ge, S., Tremblay, D., Viner, K., Qiu, S., Champagne, P. and Jessop, P.G. (2018) Centrate Wastewater Treatment with Chlorella vulgaris: Simultaneous enhancement of Nutrient Removal, Biomass and Lipid Production. Chemical Engineering Journal, 342:310-320.
2. Benitez, M. B., Ochoa-Herrera, V., Champagne, P., Ramos, A., Torres, A. and Penafiel, R. (2018) Wastewater Treatment for Nutrient Removal with Ecuadorian Native Microalgae. Environmental Technology, 12:1-9.
3. Sinclair, J.S. and Arnott, S.E. (2018) Local Context and Connectivity determine the response of zooplankton communities to salt contamination. Freshwater Biology, 63:1273-1286.
4. Zan, S.S.E. and Arnott, S.E. (2018) The impact of calcium decline on population growth rates of crustacean zooplankton in Canadian Shield lakes. Limnology and Oceanography, 63(2):602-616.
5. Hoobin, S.J., Byer, J.D., Alaee, M., Brown, R.S. and Hodson, P.V. (2018) Dioxin-like contaminants are no longer a risk to the American eel (Anguilla rostrata) in Lae Ontario. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 37(4):1061-1070.
6. Christiansen, C.T., Lafreniere, M.J. and Grogan, P. (2018) Long-term deepened snow depletes tundra mineral soil carbon and promotes evergreen shrub dominance. Global Change Biology, 24(8):3508-3525.
7. Wang, J.J., Lafreniere, M.J., Lamoureux, S.F., Simpson, A. and Simpson, M. (2018) Differences in riverine and pond water dissolved organic matter composition and sources in the Canadian High Arctic with active layer detachments. Environmental Science & Technology, 52(3):1062-1071.
8. Jin, M., Carlos, J., McConnell, R., Hall, G. and Champagne, P. (2018) Peat as Substrate for Small-Scale Constructed Wetlands Polishing Secondary Effluents from a Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plant. Water, 9(12):928; doi:10.3390/w9120928.
9. Gillman, M., Lamoureux, S.F. and Lafreniere, M.J. (2017) Calibration of a modified temperature-light intensity logger for quantifying water electrical conductivity. Water Resources Research, 53(9):8120-8126.
10. Liu, L., MacDougall, A., Hall, G. and Champagne, P. (2017) Disinfection Performance in Wastewater Stabilization Ponds in Cold Climate Conditions: A Case Study in Nunavut, Canada. Environments, 4(4):93-102.
11. Qiu, S., Ge, S., Champagne, P. and Meldrum Robertson, R. (2017) Potential of Ulva lactuca for Municipal Wastewater Bioremediation and Fly Food. Desalination and Water Treatment. Desalination and Water Treatment, DOI: 10.5004/dwt.2017.20767.
12. Gan, C., Hall, G. and Champagne, P. (2017) Evaluation of Passive Treatment Technologies for the Treatment of Septic Tank Septage Under Temperate Climate Conditions. Journal of Environmental Management (Online publication DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2017.05.079).
13. Unterlander, N., Champagne, P. and Plaxton, W. (2017) Optimization of Soluble Protein and Active Enzyme Extraction from the Oleaginous Microalga Chlorella vulgaris. Algal Research-2016-270
14. Collotta, M., Mabee, W., Champagne, P. and Tomasoni, G. (2017) Wastewater and Waste CO2 for Sustainable Biofuels from Microalgae. Algal Research, 29:12-21.
15. Ge, S. and Champagne, P. (2017) Cultivation of Marine Macroalgae Chaetomorpha linum in Municipal Wastewater. Environmental Science and Technology, 51(6):3558-3566.
16. Ge, S., Madill, M. and Champagne, P. (2017) Use of Freshwater Macroalgae Spirogyra sp. for the Treatment of Municipal Wastewaters and Biomass Production for Biofuel Applications. Biomass and Bioenergy, 111:213-223.
17. Pouladi, S.F., Anderson, B.C., Wootton, B. and Rozema, L. (2017) Evaluation of passive reduction of nitrate from greenhouse effluent by planted bioreactors. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 17(6):1764-1773.
18. Yu, L., Li, C., Anderson, B.C., Zhang, S., Shi, X. and Zhao, S. (2017) A modified QWASI model for fate and transport modeling of mercury between the water-ice-sediment in Lake Ulanshai. Chemosphere, 176:117-124.
19. Husk, B., Anderson, B.C., Whalen, J.K. and Sanchez, J.S. (2017) Reducing nitrogen contamination from agricultural subsurface drainage with denitrification bioreactors and controlled drainage. Biosystems Engineering, 153:52-62.
20. Hossain, S.Z. and Mumford, K.G. (2017) Capillary pressure-saturation relationships for diluted bitumen and water in gravel. Journal of Hydrology, 551:306-313.
21. Soucy, N.C., Mumford, K.G. (2017) Bubble-facilitated VOC transport from LNAPL smear zones and its potential effect on vapor intrusion, Environmental Science & Technology, 51(5):2795-2802.
22. Martin, E.M., Mumford, K.G., Kueper, B.H. and Siemens, G.A. (2017) Gas formation in sand and clay during electrical resistance heating. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 110:855-862.
23. Sills, L.K., Mumford, K.G. and Siemens, G.A. (2017), Quantification of fluid saturations in transparent porous media. Vadose Zone Journal, 16(2), doi:10.2136/vzj2016.06.0052.
24. Valipour, R., Boegman, L., Bouffard, D. and Rao, Y.R. (2017) Sediment resuspension mechanisms and their contributions to high-terbidity events in a large lake. Limnology and Oceanography, DOI 101002/lno10485.
25. Dorostkar, A., Boegman, L. and Pollard, A. (2017) Three-dimensional simulation of nonlinear internal wave dynamics in Cayuga Lake. Journal of Geophysical Research, DOI 10.1002/2016JC011862.
26. Mulligan, R.P. and Take, W.A. (2017) On the transfer of momentum from a granular landslide to a water wave. Coastal Engineering, 125:16-22.
27. Bennett, V.C. and Mulligan, R.P. (2017) Evaluation of surface wind fields for prediction of directional ocean wave spectra Hurricane Sandy. Coastal Engineering, 125:1-15.
28. Clunies, G., Mulligan, R.P., Mallinson, D.M. and Walsh, J.P. (2017) Modelling hydrodynamics or large lagoons: insights from the Albemarle-Pamlico Estuarine System. Estuarine, Coastal, and Shelf Science, 189:90-103.
29. Kemp, A.C., Kegel, J.J., Culver, S.J., Barber, D.C., Mallinson, D.J., Leorri, E., Bernhardt, C.E., Cahill, N., Riggs, S.R., Woodson, A.L., Mulligan, R.P. and Horton, B.P. (2017) Extended late Holocene relative sea-level histories for North Carolina, USA. Quaternary Sciences Reviews, 160:13-30.
30. Eulie, D.O., Walsh, J.P., Corbett, D.R. and Mulligan, R.P. (2017). Temporal and spatial dynamics of estuarine shoreline change in the Albemarle-Pamlico Estuarine System, North Carolina, USA. Estuaries and Coasts, 40(3):741-757.
31. Angelucci, D.M., Stazi, V., Dauglis, A.J. and Tomei, M.C. (2017). Treatment of Synthetic Tannery Wastewater in a Continuous Two-Phase Partitioning Bioreactor: Biodegradation of the Organic Fraction and Chromium Separation. Journal Cleaner Production, 152:321-329.
32. Kielstra, B., Arnot, S.E. and Gunn, J. (2017) Subcatchment deltas and upland features influence multiscale aquatic ecosystem recovery in damaged landscapes. Ecological Applications, 27:2249-2261.
33. Sinclair, J.S. and Arnott, S.E. (2017) Relative importance of colonist quantity, quality, and arrival frequency to the extinction of two zooplankton species. Oecologia, 184:441-452.
34. Arnott, S.E., Azan, S.S.E, and Ross, A.J. (2017) Calcium decline reduces population growth rates of zooplankton in field mesocosms. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 95:323-333.
35. Jokela, A.M., Arnott, S.E. and Beisner, B.E. (2017) Biotic resistance of impact: a native predator (Choaborus) influences the impact of an invasive predator (Bythotephes) in temperate lakes. Biological Invasions, 19(5):1495-1515.
36. Azan, S.S.E. and Arnott, S.E. (2017) The effects of Bythotrephes longimanus and calcium decline on crustacean zooplankton communities in Canadian Shield lakes. Hydrobiologia, 785:307-325.
37. Affan, M.A. and Jessop, P.G. (2017) Catalytic Formylation of Primary and Secondary Amines with CO2 and H2 using Abundant Metal Catalysts. Inorganic Chemistry, 56(12):7301-7305.
38. Yuan, X., Kim, E.G., Sanders, C.A., Richter, B.E., Cunningham, M.F., Jessop, P.G. and Oleschuk, R.D. (2017) CO2 Modified Solvents for Chromotographic Separation. Green Chemistry, 19(7):1757-1765.
39. Darabi, A., Glasing, J., Jessop, P.G. and Cunningham, M.F. (2017) Preparation of CO2-Switchable Latexes Using Dimethylaminopropyl Methacrylamide (DMAPMAm). Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 55:1059-1066.
40. Jessop, P.G. and Leitner, W. (2017) Green Chemistry in 2017. Green Chemistry, 19:15-17.
41. Madison, B.N, Hodson, P.V. and Langlois, V.S. (2017) Cold Lake Blend diluted bitumen toxicity to the early development of Japanese medaka. Environmental Pollution, 225:579-586.
42. Hodson, P.V. (2017) The toxicity to fish embryos of PAH in crude and refined oils. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 73(1):12-18.
43. Adams, J., Charbonneau, K., Tuori, D., Brown, R.S., and Hodson, P.V. (2017) The case for standardizing oil toxicity test methods. In 40th AMOP Technical Seminar on Environmental Contamination and Response.
44. Roberts, K.E., Lamoureux, S.F., Kyser, T.K., Muir, D.C.G., Lafreniere, M.J., Iqaluk, D., Pienkowski, A.J. and Normandeau, A. (2017) Climate and permafrost effects on the chemistry and ecosystems of High Arctic Lakes. Nature Scientific Reports, 7(1): 13292.
45. Lamoureux, S.F. and Lafreniere, M.J. (2017) More than just snowmelt: integrated watershed science for changing climate and permafrost at the Cape Bounty Arctic Watershed Observatory. WIREs Water, 5:e1255. DOI: 10.1002/wat2.1255.
46. Inglese, C., Christianses, C., Lamhonwah, D., Moniz, K., Montross, S., Lamoureux, S.F., Lafreniere, M.J., Grogan, P. and Walker, V.K. (2017) Examination of soil microbial communities after permafrost thaw subsequent to an active layer detachment in the High Arctic. Arctic, Antartic and Alpine Research, 49(3):455-472.
47. Lafreniere, M.J., Louiseize, N.L. and Lamoureux, S.F. (2017) Active layer slope disturbances affect seasonality and composition of dissolved nitrogen export from High Arctic headwater catchments. Arctic Science, 3(2):429-450.
48. Lackey, J., Champagne, P. and Peppley, B. (2017) Operation of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells on Anaerobically Derived Wastewater Treatment Plant Biogas. Journal of Environmental Management, 203(pt.2):753-759.
49. Shirin-Abadi, A.R., Jessop, P.G. and Cunningham, M.F. (2016) In situ use of aqueous RAFT prepared poly (2-(diethylamino)ethyl methacrylate) as a stabilizer for preparation of CO2 switchable latexes. Macromolecular Reaction Engineering, DOI: 10.1002/mren.201600035.
50. Wallace, J., Champagne, P. and Hall, G. (2016) Time Series Relationships Between Chlorophyll-a, Dissolved Oxygen and pH in Three Facultative Wastewater Stabilization Ponds. Journal of Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2:1032-1040.
51. Jin, M. , Champagne, P. and Hall, G. (2016) Effects of Different Substrates in the Mitigation of Algae-induced High pH Wastewaters in Free Water Surface Wetland Systems. Water Science and Technology, 75(1-2):1-10.
52. Wallace, J., Champagne, P. and Hall, G. (2016) Multivariate Statistical Analysis of Water Chemistry Dynamics in Three Facultative Wastewater Stabilization Ponds with Algal Blooms and pH Fluctuations. Water Research 96:155-165.
53. Collotta, M., Champagne, P., Mabee, W., Tomasoni, G., Alberti, M., Busi, L. and Leite, G.B. (2016) Environmental Assessment of Co-location Alternatives for a Microalgae Cultivation Plant: A Case Study in the City of Kingston (Canada). Energy Procedia 95C:29-36.
54. Liu, L., Hall, G. and Champagne, P. (2016) Effects of Environmental Factors on the Disinfection Performance of a Wastewater Stabilization Pond Operated in Temperate Climate. Water 8(1):5-15.
55. Clyde, E. , Champagne, P., Jamieson, H., Gorman, C. and Sourial, J. (2016) The Use of a Passive Treatment System for the Mitigation of AMD at the Williams Brothers Mine: Pilot-Scale Study. Journal of Cleaner Production 130:116-125.
56. Ge, S. and Champagne, P. (2016) Nutrient Removal, Microalgal Biomass Growth, Harvesting and Lipid Yield in Response to Centrate Wastewater Loadings. Water Research 88:604-612.
57. Martin, E.M., Mumford, K.G. and Kueper, B.H. (2016) Electrical resistance heating of clay layers in water-saturated sand. Groundwater Monitoring and Remediation, 36(1), 54-61.
58. Cianflone S.P.L., Dickson, S.E., Mumford, K.G. (2016) On the importance of gravity in DNAPL invasion of saturated horizontal fractures. Groundwater, doi:10.1111/gwat.12441.
59. Wallace, J., Champagne, P., Hall, G., Liu, X. and Yin, Z. (2015) Determination of Algae and Macrophyte Species Distribution in Three Wastewater Stabilization Ponds Using Metagenomics Analysis. Water 7:3225-3242.
60. Lackey, J., Peppley, B., Champagne, P. and Maier, A. (2015) Composition and Uses of Anaerobic Digestion Derived Biogas from Wastewater Treatment Facilities in North America. Waste Management and Research 33(8):767-771.
61. Giacoman-Vallejos, G., Ponce-Caballero, C. and Champagne, P. (2015) Pathogen Removal from Domestic and Swine Wastewater by Experimental Constructed Wetlands. Water Science and Technology 71(8) :1263-1270.
62. Roy-Poirier, A., Filion, Y. and Champagne, P. (2015) An Event-Based Simulation Model for Bioretention Systems. Water Science and Technology 72(9):1524-1533.
63. Sleep, B., Beranger, S., Reinecke, S. and Filion, Y. (2015) DNAPL Accumulation in Wells and DNAPL Recovery from Wells: Model Development and Application to a Laboratory Study. Advances in Water Resources, Elsevier, 85: 109-119.
64. Wilson, D., Filion, Y. and Moore, I. (2015) State-of-the-Art Review of Failure Prediction Models for Large-Diameter Water Mains. Urban Water Journal, 14(2):173-184.
65. Prosser, M., Speight, V. and Filion, Y. (2015) Sensitivity of Pipe Replacement Schedules to Pipe Roughness and Other Factors. Journal of Water Research Planning and Management ASCE 141(8), 04015001 [NSERC, MEDI].
66. Roshani, E. and Filion, Y. (2015) Water Distribution System Rehabilitation Planning Under Climate Change Mitigation Scenarios. Journal of Water Research Planning and Management ASCE, 141(4), 04014066 [NSERC, MEDI].