Ross J. Beaty
The Beaty Water Research Centre's state of the art research facility at Queen’s University was made possible through a $5-million gift from Mr. Ross J. Beaty, a Queen's parent. The facility includes an 8,000 square foot lab located in the Queen's Innovation and Wellness Centre in Mitchell Hall.
Mr. Beaty is a geologist and an entrepreneur in the international minerals and renewable energy industries. He has won numerous awards including the:
- 2007 Association of Mineral Exploration of B.C.’s Colin Spence Award for excellence in global mineral exploration.
- 2008 the Mining Person of the Year award from the Mining Association of B.C.
- 2008 Natural Resources & Energy Entrepreneur of the Year, Award by Ernst & Young.
- 2010 Viola MacMillan Award by the Prospector and Developers Association.
- 2011 Mining Person of the Year by Canada’s Northern Miner newspaper.
- 2014 CIM’s Vale Medal for Meritorious Contribution to Mining.
- 2015 inducted to the Resource Hall of Fame.
- 2016 Vancouver Aquarium’s North Medal for Ocean Conservation and the Alumni Award of Distinction from UBC’s School of Law.
Mr. Beaty received his undergraduate degree and a graduate degree from the University of British Columbia and a graduate degree from The Royal School of Mines.
The Beaty Water Research Centre will be located in the Queen's Innovation and Wellness Centre, set to open fall 2018.